Networker

Re: [Networker] New barcocded labels on recycled tapes - what does Legato do?

2005-03-04 14:29:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] New barcocded labels on recycled tapes - what does Legato do?
From: Michael Coxe <mcoxe AT OPSWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:25:59 -0800
Following up:

Yesterday I loaded the jukebox with *only* recyclable Default pool tapes.
Low & behold, Legato recycled those tapes to other pools (4 active pools
besides Default, incl. NDMP pool) & all backups ran sucessfully.

Happy, but wonder why it didn't work before? Enterprise level software
has a life of its own sometimes...

 - michael

I wrote:
Darren Dunham wrote

I tried this per instructions posted on this list but Legato ignores my changes. If I could could get this to work that would be ideal!
As I remember the process...:

 shut down legato
 backup /nsr/res/nsr.res
 edit /nsr/res/nsr.res
  - find "Default" pool
  - @ "Recycle to other pools: No;", change "No" to "Yes"
 restart Networker
 manage pools
 - allow desired pools to "Recycle from other pools"

Did I miss a step or ?

Yup, that was the technique. Perhaps it no longer works (I haven't tried it in some time). I'm assuming that after you restart Networker that the setting appears correct in nwadmin/nsradmin, but that it's just not having any effect?

Yes, all changes show via all interfaces (nsradmin & the GUI ones):
- Default pool:   Recycle to other pools: [Yes]   No ;
- NDMP Pool:      Recycle from other pools: [Yes]   No ;
- Finance Pool:   Recycle from other pools: [Yes]   No ;
...etc...

I'll try this: make sure there are only recyclable Default pool tapes in the jukebox and fire off a few non-Default pool backups and see what happens.