Networker

Re: [Networker] wrong tape capacitiy displayed

2005-02-22 11:18:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] wrong tape capacitiy displayed
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:18:29 -0800
> I removed the tape from the database, wrote some bytes on the tape, so that
> the tape label was deleted, and labeled the tape by hand as you suggest.
> By the way: my problem ist the default capacity rather than the block size.

Right.

> Questions:
>
> Do I have to set the variables affecting the behaviour of the devices on
> the server or on the storage node (or on both)?

Anything that has a 'device' needs the setting.  So it's probably on both.

> Why doesn't this server by itsself know that Mammoth2-tapes have a native
> capacity of 60GB? We have a 6.1.4-server with Mammoth2-drives at a
> different site where this is not a problem at all.

In general, Networker doesn't have very detailed information about tapes
and drives, since the OS is handling most of the communication.

'capacity' on modern tapes is dependent not only on the tape and the
drive, but also the data and it's compressibility.

Networker allows you to set a default or specific 'capacity' on each
volume based on your expected usage of it.

> Is the default capacity really being written on tape when labeling or is it
> just an entry in the media database?

Well, I'm sure it's on the label also, but that doesn't mean much.  The
only thing the value is used for is calculating a percentage used.  It
knows the total written and uses the 'capacity' as the estimated filling
point.

Setting the point far away from the real filling point will only affect
the displayed percentage.  It will not affect the actual capacity.