Networker

Re: [Networker] Scheduling

2005-02-15 19:21:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Scheduling
From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:20:57 -0500
We have this set up as well.  Our dailies, weeklies and monthlies write
to different pools and each has a different browse/retention policy.  In
order to overcome the limitation of one schedule for each definition, we
actually have three client definitions for each client.  We also have
separate groups to force separating the daily, weekly and monthly
backups to different tape pools.

For example:

ClientA backs up at 7pm and does a full backup on Mondays with
incremental backups each other day.  ClientA has the following
definitions:

Daily:
name : ClientA;
schedule : "Incr all, skip Mon";
browse policy : 5 Weeks;
retention policy : 5 Weeks;
group : 7pm-daily;

Weekly:
name : ClientA;
schedule : "Full Mon, skip 1st and others";
browse policy : Quarter;
retention policy : Quarter;
group : 7pm-weekly;

Monthly
name : ClientA;
schedule : "Full 1st Mon, skip others";
browse policy : Year;
retention policy : Year;
group : 7pm-monthly;

All the -daily groups write to the Daily pool, the -weekly groups write
to the Weekly pool and the -monthly groups write to the Monthly pool.

Other notes:
- To make creating all the clients easier, we have a script which
gathers some information and then creates input files for nsradmin.
- To make it easier to find the daily, weekly and monthly backups for
each client, the comment for each client begins with either a d-, w- or
m-.
- So that the client index files have the right browse and retention
times, we have the backup server listed as a client in each group with a
schedule of "skip all" and the appropriate retention for the group.
- Since the backup server is within each group, we have the bootstraps
write to a file instead of being printed each time it is generated.  We
then have a cron job that emails and prints a single copy at the end of
the backup night.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

-Teresa