Networker

Re: [Networker] Compress ASM Theory.

2005-02-15 12:29:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Compress ASM Theory.
From: Kenneth Larsen <kel AT STERIA DOT DK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:28:32 +0100
Compressam runs on the client, before the data is transmitted over the
network.
Legato don't compress data that is written to disk.

Med venlig hilsen / Regards
Kenneth Larsen
Steria
Tonsbakken 16-18
2740 Skovlunde
kel AT steria DOT dk - 44506261 - 26306261
With a revenue of 1.1 billion Euro and more than 9,000 employees, Steria
is one of the top ten IT services companies in Europe.
Steria Denmarks ambition is to reach a yearly growth of 20% in the coming
3 years. Our focus expertise is in:  e-Business, e-Government,
Outsourcing, Infrastructure, CRM and Workflow.

Shawn Cox <shawn.cox AT PCCA DOT COM>
Sent by: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
14-02-2005 16:32
Please respond to
Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please
respond to
Shawn Cox <shawn.cox AT PCCA DOT COM>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[Networker] Compress ASM Theory.

Would like a little input fromt he community re the compressasm

o-Server1 with very fast disks(approx 60MB/sec), and  very large (100GB)
uncompressed (but highly comressable) files.
o-Legato Server v7.1.3 server with DBO option.  DBO disks are very fast as

well(60MB/sec)
o-compressasm in the directive to which Server1 is a member.
o-Dual teamed Gigabit network on same subnet between Server1 and Legato
Server.  Network is the Transport for the savesets from Server1 to the
Legato Server.  Normal network throughput is about 20 MB/sec.

No tape hardware in this secnario as tape doesn't come into play until
stage
off the DBO disks.

My question is which server does the compression?  Is it save.exe on
Server1
compressing the data then sending across the wire?  Or is the uncompressed

data getting sent across the wire and being comressed at the Legao server
before being written to the DBO disk?   My metrics show that the file is
being read at 45-50 MB/sec on Server1, but only being written at 9 MB/sec
the DBO disks on the Legato Server.  I don't see any significant processor

usage by either server during the backup that would indicate a compression

process running.

Any input appreciated.

--Shawn