Networker

Re: [Networker] AW: [Networker] mt status command aborting a running backup

2005-02-08 09:31:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] AW: [Networker] mt status command aborting a running backup
From: Clb <cbrandenstein AT MSA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:26:55 -0500
Thanks for the list of possible san causes of backup aborts/corruptions.
How do you prevent these events from interfering with Networker?  Is there
a way to prevent them?

We have a very active network of machines which require work from time to
time.  We can't prevent that work from happening just because a backup is
running on another, separate machine.  Nor can we sacrifice a backup
because of unexpected, maintainence work somewhere else on the san.

Do you just look for the errors and re-run the backup or is there a fix
available which will trap for and/or block these events?

We've been chasing down these mysterious io, decode block errors for some
time and were quite surprised when we saw an mt status command appear
to cause an immediate abort on a backup.