Networker

Re: [Networker] Idiots Guide to SNMP

2005-02-03 08:20:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Idiots Guide to SNMP
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:12:02 -0500
Hi, David,

I agree about the Admin Guide. I'm sorry but somebody must have borrowed my
copy of "NDMP Backups for Dummies". I do have some notes that may be of help:

Notes on Legato NDMP Backups

â?¢ Client configuration:
  > The Remote User: and Password: fields must contain an NDMP user name and
password that exist on the filer.
  > The Backup command: field should be set to â??nsrndmp_save -T dumpâ??
  > Under Application Information:, set:
        HIST=y
        UPDATE=y
        DIRECT=y
  > Set â??Ndmp:â?? to Yes.

â?¢ Device configuration:
  > Set Ndmp to Yes
  > Use the same Remote User: and Password: as in the client definition.

â?¢ Limitations:
  > Canâ??t set â??Save Sets: ALLâ??. Must list save sets individually
  > Schedule canâ??t include incr. Must do differential (level 1-9), because
recover only shows what was backed up on the previous day.
  > Canâ??t recover more than 10,000 files at a time with file recovery (no
limit on save set recovery). Changes are in the works to increase the limit
to 1,000,000 files.
  > Canâ??t recover a file or path name with more than 1024 characters
  > There is no multiplexing on drives; the number of drives is the maximum
number of sessions.
  > Canâ??t restore an NDMP tape on a non-NDMP device.
  > Try to spread out your full backups: After 12-13 hours without grabbing
a tape drive nsrexecd processes may die.

Some further notes on the "Application Information" (this is from Legato in
response to case #3072807):

HIST=y This variable specifies whether or not the filer will pass file
information back to NetWorker for the building of a client file index.

UPDATE=y This variable determines whether or not the /etc/dumpdates file
will be updated on the filer so that level backups can be compared against
new or modified files since the last lower level backup.

DIRECT=y Setting this variable to y indicates that you would like to use
Direct Access Retrieval when doing restores.  It must be set at the time the
backup is run.  This tells the NetApp to send the file offset information
for each file that is written to tape back to NetWorker.  We then store this
in the Media Database and use it at restore time for positioning the tape to
the exact file offset of the file(s) that is being restored.  This can save
alot of time when doing a file by file restore.  Particularly on a very
large backup.  That being said, it is important to note that there are
limitations on the NetApp side.  For example, when running a version of
OnTap lower than V6.4 you cannot restore more than 1,024 in a single file by
file restore.  Starting with V6.4 NetApp has increased this limit to
1,000,000 files for both DAR and non-DAR restores.  (non-DAR restores with
versions of OnTap lower than V6.4 are limited to 10,240 files in a single
file by file restore operation).  NetApp also does not
 support using DAR to restore files that have NT Streaming associated with
them, symbolic links or empty directories.  There may be others that I am
not aware of, but this is the list that we have run into thus far.

UTF8=y This parameter should only be set if you anticipate having non-ASCII
foreign characters as part of the directory/file/saveset names that may be
used or passed during the backup.  It should also be noted, that if you do
anticipate this there is configuration that needs to be done on the NetApp
side to set that particular volume to the appropriate language using OnTaps
vol_lang command.

EXTRACT_ACL=T NOTE:  the value of this parameter is uppercase while all
others are lowercase.  Setting this parameter indicates that the files are
in a CIFS filesystem and may have ACL's associated with them that you would
like to save with the backup.

There is one more parameter EXCLUDE which has a value of file(s) or paths
that are to be excluded from the backup.  This is kind of like using
directives for non-NDMP backups in NetWorker.  However, from my notes it
appears you are still running NetWorker V6.1.3.  The EXCLUDE parameter is
not supported until NetWorker V7.0.

Good luck!

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:21:52 -0500, King, David - Eastman <dking AT EASTMAN DOT