Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWare vs. NetWorker 7.1.3/7.2

2005-01-27 11:48:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWare vs. NetWorker 7.1.3/7.2
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:44:37 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] NetWare vs. NetWorker 7.1.3/7.2, Joaquin Camp...:

I have been thinking of test this against a Linux server, instead of
Windows 2k. Just to be sure that the NetWorker server gives a crap of
the NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1 variable. Now that I have heard that you
got it to work, I'm surely gonna give it a try.

BTW, On UNIX/Linux when you have that set and you start the NetWorker
server, you will get a message in your /nsr/logs/daemon.log:

/nsr/logs/daemon.log:01/26/05 16:30:25 nsrd: Support for Netware clients is
enabled.

Not sure about Windows.

What TSA are you running? I don't like TSAFS at all, but I couldn't find
TSA600 in sp2 for NetWare 6.5. The latest TSA5UP I could find, was
TSA5UP10, this one is pretty old, and I have seen discussions about
TSA5UP13. But I haven't found it on Novell's website(!?).

That's a complicated story.  Our NetWare guys really want to use TSAFS,
because that's what Novell is pushing and in our experience it has been
faster than the TSA600 series.  We know that others have experienced
slow-downs with TSAFS, but that hasn't been the case here.

We currently have a support call open with Legato, because since doing the
7.1.3 upgrade we have been unable to restore any data that was backed up
before the upgrade on our NetWare clients.  It looks like it may be some
kind of media database corruption.

In any case, while working on the problem, the Legato tech we've been
dealing with indicated that:

- Legato wants us to use TSA600, from the tsaup15 bundle.  If you call up
  Legato and request that, they'll probably give it to you.

- Our NetWare guys had been unable to use tsaup17 *with* TSAFS on 6.5 sp2,
  because of missing public symbols in one of the NLMs (RCMDSRV, I think).

  Legato has a new nsrlib.nlm that should allow you to use tsaup17 and
  TSAFS (if you're so inclined) on 6.5 sp2.

- According to the tech, the snapshot.nlm that was included with the
  NetWare 4.21 NetWorker client is no longer supported with the 4.22
  client, so if you need open file support (such as for GroupWise, which
  we have too) you'll need to purchase some other product.  He suggested
  contacting St. Bernard software and trying their Open File Manager (OFM)
  to see if it would meet our needs.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu