Networker

[Networker] NetWorker 7.x vs NetBackup Enterprise 5.x

2005-01-18 13:30:59
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker 7.x vs NetBackup Enterprise 5.x
From: "Neild, Jim" <Jim.Neild AT SSHA.ON DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:31:43 -0500
Guys,

I currently run a NetWorker 7.1 environment with an AlphaStor backend.
I have little problems that seem to bring the environment to its knees
from time to time.  My perception of the Networker product is that it is
very fragiile in that it isn't resiliant and that it cannot recover
gracefully from even small errors without you having to hold its hand.

So, needless to say, I am looking to evaluate another backup product and
NetBackup Enterprise server 5.1 looks like it might be an option.
However, experience can speak volumes, so I was wondering whether or not
anyone has extensive experience with both products and can speak to the
pros and cons of the two products.  I know that people generally like
what they are running and have experience with, but in this case I am
looking for an objective opinion if possible.

My current environment has 12 Storage Nodes running on Win2K, 1
NetWorker server on Win2K, 2 L700e libraries (each with 20 LTO1 drives)
that are SAN attached.  So, take that into account in any responses if
it is relevant.

I look forward to any insight that others might have.

Cheers,
Jim