Networker

Re: [Networker] Multiple NIC configuration

2005-01-07 13:27:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Multiple NIC configuration
From: "Reed, Ted G II [ITS]" <ted.reed AT MAIL.SPRINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:26:15 -0600
I use a multi-NIC master AND multi-NIC storage nodes.  The top 3 things I can
think of to assist in performance.
1.  Add all master and storage node DNS values to all master and storage node
/etc/hosts files.
2.  Setup and use "nscd" (Name Server Caching Daemon) on all master/storage
nodes to decrease DNS hits
3.  On every client, set the "Server Network Interface" for Master/MetaData
connections.  Also on every client, set the "Storage Nodes" field by removing
'nsrserverhost' and putting in StorageNode identifier.

        NOTE:  All my servers have an Enterprise (routed) network connection
and a Backup (flat, non-routed) network connection(s).  The Enterprise is used
to telnet/GUI use/general interactions.  The Backup network is used for
MetaData and backup data transfers.

Example:
Master has 3 NICs
Master-A        == Enterprise connection
Master-B        == Backup Specific
Master-C        == Backup Specific

Storage Node One (SN1) has 2 NICs
SN1-N           == Enterprise connection
SN1-M           == Backup Specific

Storage Node Two (SN2) has 4 NICs
SN2-W           == Enterprise connection
SN2-X           == Backup Specific
SN2-Y           == Backup Specific
SN2-Z           == Backup Specific

All 3 servers would contain an /etc/hosts file that contains (at minimum):
x.x.x.x Master-A        loghost
x.x.x.y Master-B
x.x.x.z Master-C
y.y.y.y SN1-N
y.y.y.z SN1-M
z.z.z.w SN2-W
z.z.z.x SN2-X
z.z.z.y SN2-Y
z.z.z.z SN2-Z

And when setting up client ABC to backup to SN2 -
        In the ABC client config you would enter 'Master-B' as the "Server
Network Interface" and you can enter all 3 SN2 values in the "Storage Nodes".
        Storage Nodes:
                                SN2-X
                                SN2-Y
                                SN2-Z
        - Or you could only add one and manually "balance" the load, like we
have done.
        - Or you can put "nsrserverhost" as the LAST entry, backup to master if
the Storage Node ever goes down.

And if setting up client DEF to backup to SN1 -
        Server Network Interface = Master-C
        Storage Nodes            = SN1-M

Probably much more rambling than I meant it to be.  Hope this helps in some way.
--Ted