Networker

Re: [Networker] Multiple NIC configuration

2005-01-07 11:21:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Multiple NIC configuration
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:20:15 -0800
> I'm getting ready to upgrade my server and along with this upgrade I had
> planned on implementing sun trunking and just having one big(4Gb) pipe
> on the same IP that I use now.  Well, after having a long discussion
> with the networking guys here, because our core links are only 1Gb I
> would be better of having the separate NICs on separate switches and
> separate subnets.

So solaris.  Personally, I don't see why SunTrunking wouldn't work here,
and it would reduce some of the administration overhead you're having to
deal with.

> So in a perfect world I would get the best network performance if I had
> 6 NICs 1 on each subnet on each switch.  That would keep the amount of
> traffic that has to cross the shared 1Gb pipe way down.

Without some extra work, Solaris does not support having multiple
interfaces on the same subnet (only one interface will be used for
outbound traffic, and no error detection or failover will take place).

So clients would send data to one interface, but all the traffic back to
it might come from the other interface on the subnet (possibly on the
other switch).

> I have a V880 8x1.2Mhz 16GB Memory, so I have the physical ability to do
> this.
>
> My question is:  Is networker able to take advantage of a configuration
> like this?  I would set it up like below.

Networker can...

> In switch1: tapelib=x.x.158.x(main server NIC),
> tapelib1=x.x.200.x,tapelib2=x.x.201.x
>
> In switch2: tapelib3=x.x.158.x, tapelib4=x.x.200.x,tapelib5=x.x.201.x
>
> On a client plugged into switch1 on the 200 vlan I would put "tapelib1"
> in the "Server network interface" field.
>
> On a client plugged into switch2 on the 200 vlan I would put "tapelib4"
> in the "Server network interface" field.
>
> >From what I've found in the archive, at least the initial connect will
> also use the 158 NIC in switch1(no problem).  My concern is that it'll
> try to use both of the 200 NICs instead of the one I designate.

The routers/switches will direct inbound traffic to exactly one of the
server interfaces based on the IP address.

The server will send outbound traffic for a subnet out exactly one of
the interfaces (which one probably depends on configuration order).

Now since you're expecting most of the traffic to be the inbound data
(at least during a backup), this may be fine.  Just understand you have
no failover, and proper functionality may depend on having both
interfaces configured.

You could use IPMP to get failover, but I'm not sure it'll help with
correlating the outbound data with the "correct" interface.

> Does
> anyone have a similar setup that is functioning correctly?  This would
> complicate my backup configuration a bit, but I think the potential
> performance gains are quite high.

I've done this a lot, but only with one interface per subnet, or with
sun trunking.