Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up Exchange...

2005-01-06 18:18:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up Exchange...
From: Scott Bingham <sfbing AT EARTHLINK DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:17:37 -0800
Hello Randy,

With Exchange 2003, you will be able to use the RSG (Recovery Storage Group)
instead of needing a separate server.  RSGs are like a little recovery
sandbox within the production server.

You will still need to recover the entire database to do this, then use
Microsoft's ExMerge utility to copy from the RSG to your user's mailbox.
The MB backups would allow you to recover items directly to the users's
mailbox without going through the RSG/ExMerge steps.  Thus MB backups do
still add value, for those who prefer that option.

Most experienced Exchange Admins prefer not to do brick-level backups.  Some
perform MB backups only on senior managament mailboxes, etc.

Thanks,
_Scott