Networker

Re: [Networker] Storage nodes: "Host name verification failed"

2005-01-05 16:32:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Storage nodes: "Host name verification failed"
From: Brian O'Neill <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:31:20 -0500
Problems solved, at least this one. They decided to inform me today that
they are doing split-brain DNS between their AD systems and everything
else - so the server wasn't known by the name I knew it as. Once they
updated both sides to use the name name, and I reconfigured Networker,
everything started working in that regard.

I have other config questions, but will pose them separately...

Brian O'Neill wrote:
Forward/reverse lookups seem fine - I had checked that first. I don't
have access to the windows nodes so I can't verify that end, but the did
state that the server does resolve properly from that end.

Actually one line I left out from the logs:

Tue 17:34:03 rd=node2.foo.com:\\.\Tape0 enabled; nsrmmd not available

Not sure if that makes a difference. I've tried restarting the server,
and I've made sure "user=Administrators,host=node1.foo.com", etc. is in
the administrators list.

Dell, Mary wrote:

Oh, yes.  I've run into this quite a bit in backups of windows clients.
Networker can't recognize a client unless the hostname and ip address
match exactly in both a forward and reverse lookup.  If your machine
uses dns to do lookups (in nsswitch.conf), use nslookup to check the ip
and host.  do the ip more than once since it might round-robin thru a
few options.  basically if you nslookup W.X.Y.Z and don't get back
"node1.foo.com" then it's failed to resolve.

Because we have dhcp and dns integrated in our environment and it seems
to be impossible to get it to keep the reverses clean in dns, I gave up
and switched my networker server to only look at /etc/hosts for
lookups.  That solved the problem.