Networker

Re: [Networker] post process after all group finnished

2005-01-05 01:00:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] post process after all group finnished
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:59:30 +1100
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:31:56 +0100, Kenneth Larsen <kel AT steria DOT dk> wrote:
> The only reasonable way I see that working is running the savegroup from
> the script too, instead of from inside networker.
> Just disable the group in networker and let cron or at start the script.
> It fairly easy to do, just read up on savegrp in your networker docs.
> But know that you can't just stop a group from inside networker if you use
> this solution, and I haven't found any other way to kill the backupjob
> started from a script, than to kill the networker services.
>
> Or, if you really want networker to manage the start of each group make
> one group for each client and use savepnpc anyways

Alternatively, you create a "control" group in addition to the real
group if you want it controlled out of NetWorker - similar to what Ken
is suggesting but a slightly different way.

The control only client in the control group is the backup server
itself, using a spurious save set. You use a custom backup command
called say "savespecial.bat" or "savespecial.sh", depending on whether
you're under Windows or Unix respectively.

That custom backup command then does the following:

(a) Runs savegrp against the real configured group, specifying the
schedule to use (if you assign schedules to groups) to force the
schedule to be used - it isn't by default if you run a group via
savegrp;

(b) When the group concludes, it runs whatever post processing
commands you need to have run. NB: If you need those commands run on
another host you're not out of luck - you could always mung an nsrexec
RCMD/RUSER command if you don't have ssh or something along those
lines available.

Cheers,

-Preston.