Networker

Re: [Networker] Setting up Windows Dedicated Storage Nodes with Linux Networker server

2005-01-03 08:46:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Setting up Windows Dedicated Storage Nodes with Linux Networker server
From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 08:45:40 -0500
Couple things to watch for:

- If you intend to share tapes between the server and storage nodes,
make sure the block size on all systems is set to be the same.

- Since the Windows servers have access to the tape drives, make sure
that the Removable Storage service is disabled (Win2000, not sure how to
accomplish the same thing in 2003).  This service will try to get a
status from the tape drives at various times (at reboot, etc.).  If it
finds them in an unknown state, it will rewind the tape.  If another
system is doing a backup, Windows will consider that an unknown state.
When the tape gets rewound during a backup, data is overwritten.

- Since you are running 7.1.1, you might want to consider enabling the
JB setting "verify label on unload" (you'll need to view details to get
this setting).  When a tape is overwritten, the tape label is wiped out.
Having this flag enabled will help you find out when this is happening.
With this setting enabled, NW will write messages to the log about not
being able to find the tape label.

- If you have NW support, you might want to browse the online knowledge
base.  I vaguely remember finding a few more helpful hints there when I
was setting up our environment.

Good luck.
Teresa