Networker

[Networker] Question about storage node/server distributed setup

2004-12-22 11:50:20
Subject: [Networker] Question about storage node/server distributed setup
From: "Dell, Mary" <mdell AT MESIROWFINANCIAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:45:04 -0600
Hi all,

I have 4 sites on my wan, with anywhere from 1 gb bandwidth down to less
than a T1 connection back to my home base.  Currently I have one server in
each location with a locally attached tape library on each server.

I'm considering switching to an arrangement with a single server at my home
site, with storage nodes at the remote sites that talk to the home server
for index and scheduling, etc, but back up to their own local tape
libraries.  That way I could restore something at my home site that was
written at a remote site.

The other advantage to this arrangement would be that *in theory* I could
have a duplicate of my single server up and running at a hot site, and do a
daily replication to it, so that I could cut over to it if I lost my main
site, rather than having to restore from a bootstrap.

So my question:  Is this a good idea?  How much bandwidth does the index
info, etc, need between the storage node and the server?  And is it possible
to replicate a networker server to a hot spare?  I'm willing to buy add-on
products to make it happen, if it's a sound concept.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Mary Dell
Server Administrator
Mesirow Financial

information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,
copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this
the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. Confidential,
proprietary or time-sensitive communications should not be transmitted via
the Internet, as there can be no assurance of actual or timely delivery,
receipt and/or confidentiality. This is not an offer, or solicitation of any
offer to buy or sell any security, investment or other product.