Networker

[Networker] Trouble recovering data

2004-12-21 20:18:41
Subject: [Networker] Trouble recovering data
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:21:48 -0500
Hi,

Was trying to recover a directory from several days ago. Was using
nwrecover. Tried twice from the client and once from another client,
both unix boxes. Each time, I get the following result:

Volumes needed (all on-line):
FUL801 at /dev/rmt/1cbn
AT1186 at /dev/rmt/2cbn
AT1205 at P1000
AT1200 at P1000
Requesting 1376 file(s), this may take a while...
Total estimated disk space needed for recover is 13 MB.

./file1.msg
./file2.msg
./file3.msg
./file3.msg
./file4.msg
recover: recover of rsid 15224 failed: Error receiving files from NSR
server `server'

./file-whatever.msg
./file-whateveragain.msg

The rest looks okay, but it only recovers 97 files, and there's that big
fat error message in the middle. I don't see anything in the logs on
server or storage node relating to this. This recovery needed several
tapes, including one full.

I then tried save set recover, specifying 7 instances, starting with the
last full, one level 5 and then 5 incrementals. There were no level
backups between the last full and the level 5. This ran just fine with
no problems. unfortunately, since I used save set recover, I undoubtedly
have a number of extra files that were originally deleted prior to the
most recent incremental, but there's no easy way to figure that out. I
guess when you use nwrecover, it takes care of that for you? I mean,
once you specify the time, it makes the recovered directory look the way
it did when it backed it up, so it won't bring back files that were
deleted prior. How can I get around this, and does anyone know what the
above error means?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

George