Networker

Re: [Networker] How much browse time for three months?

2004-12-02 14:37:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] How much browse time for three months?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:40:21 -0500
Wow! That was certainly well explained. You should write documentation
for Legato ... as extra money, of course.

I have 3 related questions to wrap this up.

1. We have another two clients (these are in a separate group) that run
fulls once every 6 months, same schedule with nightly incrementals and
decrementing monthly numeric backups. However, in this case, automatic
cloning is turned on for the group, so every save set is cloned. I set
the browse policy for these two client resources to 6 months, again for
the wrong reason thinking it was necessary to allow the fulls to be
spaced out this far, so it looks like what I really have is a situation
wherein the index could be anywhere from 6 months to 1 year in size and
anywhere in between depending, but it will always be ay least 6 months.
But, I really don't need to be able to browse back any further than the
most recent full, so I'm thinking I can change that browse policy back
to 1 month and with the schedule the way it is, I will always be able to
month will prevent the index from growing beyond 6 months which will
save a lot of disk space.

2. If I change the browse policy on a client to a lower amount, does
this take effect from that point forward, or will it go back and wipe
everything prior? I'm thinking it will continue only from there on out
and will not regress backward, so all older entries will be left alone.

3. Is there a best or worst time to do this? As long as I make the
change before anything runs, does it matter?

Thanks.

George