Networker

Re: [Networker] Merging in older index?

2004-12-01 21:06:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Merging in older index?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:05:55 -0800
> If you use nsrck -L7 to merge in an older index into the current one so
> you can browse back to that information, do you need to increase the
> browse period for the client first? I'm thinking you don't and NetWorker
> will just expand it as necessary.

No, you don't.

Pre 6.0 (when -L7 wasn't available), these sets had a "scanned in" flag,
and would not be deleted even outside the browse period.

That's no longer a problem, but I don't know how long they stick arond
any longer.

     Level 7 recovers an online file  index  from  backup  media,
     rebuilds  the  internal  key  files,  and rebuilds the index
     header.  The -t date option may be used to recover the index
     as  of a specific time.  Note that recovering the index to a
     specific time adds the entire contents of the  index  as  of
     that time to the current index contents.  This option allows
     browsing of save sets that have passed their  browse  policy
     and are still recoverable.  The save sets referred to by the
     recovered index will be  marked  as  browsable.   They  will
     remain browsable for the length of time they were originally
     browsable.

I am assuming they are deleted after the next time nsrim runs (because
they're outside the browse window), but I haven't checked this in a long
time.