Networker

[Networker] Trying to perform a DR on a winxp client.

2004-11-30 15:50:26
Subject: [Networker] Trying to perform a DR on a winxp client.
From: Paul Crossman <pcrossma AT ORANGE DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:49:29 -0500
I'm trying to DR a windows XP client and I'm hitting a few issues that
I'm not entirely sure how to handle since the DR guide is a bit vague on
this IMHO.

I'm trying to DR to a completely different piece of hardware.  Same
system name, but different IP address.  I know enough to restore C:
first and perform system state recover later.

During the restore of C:, the restore hangs after its done with the
first tape (last full backup).  The DR guide talks about having all
kinds of network info a windows XP DR especially if you're in a DHCP
environment.  Guess what, I'm in a DHCP environment and I don't have the
old network information.  Nor do I have the exact client software
version that's listed in Networker.  I can't download it from the
website either.

The DR guide talks about having to reregister the client if it has new
network information (ip addr etc...).  Does this signify that I have to
blow away the client and re add it?  Won't that blow away the client
index on me?

The gentleman that owns the system is starting to get less gentlemanly
and I'm starting to become frustrated.  I just upgraded my NW server
from 6.2 to 7.1.1 and this is the 2nd issue I've come up against.

Help please....

Paul C.