Networker

Re: [Networker] Solaris 10 and Zones

2004-11-29 16:45:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Solaris 10 and Zones
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:10:42 -0800
> [from the "Solaris Zones (N1 Grid Containers) - Sun Expert Exchange
> Transcript"
> (http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=703SsI4297t0006304e4m32f403jTc04299i0)]
> "Magnus (Q): What is the best way to backup a zone? Should a backup client
> be installed per zone, or should it be done globally at /zone/1, /zone/2
> etc?
> Dan Price (A): It's really up to you. We think either method is OK, and will
> just depend on your needs."
>
> I didn't find any Sun white papers on this topic, nor did the zones
> documentation provide any guidance.  I also checked the zones discussion,
> but there hasn't been any noteworthy discussion on this topic.
>
> Zones are a new technology for Sun, and the lack of information about backup
> is a reflection of this newness.  VMware, on the other hand, has been able
> to articulate the several backup options for quite a while.

I can think of 2 reasons I might want to do a per-zone backup.

#1 Interaction with applications in zone for consistency (databases).
   It might be better to do a per-zone backup if you're running a
   database, and you need the database to modify state in the
   application.  This scales better than requiring a global zone backup
   to do the same with databases in all zones.

#2 Ease of backup management.  If everyone thinks of the DNS data as
   living on a particular zone, it might be easier to do the backups and
   restores relative to it than doing the backups from a global zone and
   forcing someone to figure out the restore path.  A restore in the
   apps zone might be easier to manage.