Networker

Re: [Networker] Any clues about why this tape expired?

2004-11-26 14:41:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Any clues about why this tape expired?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:05:49 -0800
> As you said, now I can recover a saveset (probably the complete saveset) but
> I can't browse it to recover only a file BECAUSE the indexes are missing.

Right.  The indexes are always deleted before a saveset is expired.

> After every backup of a client, Legato backup the index for this machine and
> this index is included in the same tape than these "historical backups".
> These index have a different retention (28 days) because this is the
> retention period for the server itself.

Right.  But this has nothing to do with the ability to do file
browsing.  That is determined by the "browse policy" on the actual data,
not on the server index data.

> So, ¿how can I include the indexes for this kind of backup and have them the
> same expiration date without including the server itself in the group? Or,
> ¿must I include the server with a different saveset definition to not
> include all its hard disks?

The retention of the server indexes is only for how long the *backup*
copy of the indexes is retained on tape.  Not how long the file indexes
are kept on the server before deleting.

If you have a year retention and a year browse, you'd be able to do
recover browsing on the data for a year (unless the indexes become
manually deleted).