Networker

[Networker] Backup of w2000 suddenly fails with "Save: getcwd failed"

2004-11-19 13:11:28
Subject: [Networker] Backup of w2000 suddenly fails with "Save: getcwd failed"
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:10:33 -0500
This is about a machine we have backed up successully for
half a year.

       Two days ago, I suddenly found this in the savegroup log:

* popserver:\ 2 retries attempted
  popserver:\: No full backups of this save set were found in the media
database; performing a full backup
* popserver:\ save: getcwd failed

This is strange since the machine has been being backed up regularly
(It's a w2000 computer) with no errors

 According to one of the users of this machine who unfortunately has
access to the adminitrator account, he changed some folders' security
from "users" to "authenticated users," but this had only to do with
sharing.   Something larger has obviously happened, because when I try
to upgrade the client software to 7.1.2, I get the following error
message:

       "The windows installer service could not be accessed"

Any idea what can be happening?

                                               Matt Temple

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street, LG300/300   http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!