Networker

[Networker] Sun OS 4 backup problems

2004-11-18 07:31:00
Subject: [Networker] Sun OS 4 backup problems
From: Ray Pengelly <ray AT BIOMED.QUEENSU DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:27:49 -0500
I have a SunOS 4 client that I'm having a little problem with. I was hoping
someone could give me a hand figuring out. I get errors that the machine
isn't completing its backup set. It seems to be a problem with DNS. Here's
the error:

ss2.eyeml.queensu.ca:/a 2 retries attempted

  ss2.eyeml.queensu.ca:/a: No full backups of this save set were found in
the media database; performing a full backup

* ss2.eyeml.queensu.ca:/a save: unknown host name: dmstore.eyeml.queensu.ca

* ss2.eyeml.queensu.ca:/c 2 retries attempted

  ss2.eyeml.queensu.ca:/c: No full backups of this save set were found in
the media database; performing a full backup

* ss2.eyeml.queensu.ca:/c save: unknown host name: dmstore.eyeml.queensu.ca

If I'm on the client (ss2) I can ping the server by its shortname. If I use
the FQDN it comes back with "unknown host". I know how to fix this under
Solaris but I know SunOS 4 is different as it uses NIS for DNS resolution.
Anyone have any ideas?

Ray

Ray Pengelly

Computing Technologist

CIHR Group In Sensory-Motor Systems

Queen's University

613-533-6000 x74139

"Wouldn't it be great if life were like windows where you could hit
ctrl-alt-delete and start over when things go wrong?" - Anonymous

"How about life being like Unix where they don't mess up in the first place"
- Ray