Networker

[Networker] Determining what should have backed up?

2004-11-10 10:50:09
Subject: [Networker] Determining what should have backed up?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:52:26 -0500
How can I best determine what savesets *SHOULD* have backed up, never
mind whether they did or whether they did successfully? I have a script
that uses mminfo to check the validity of the completed savesets, so it
can handle this end of things, BUT it will not report a saveset that did
NOT run because it doesn't use a list of savesets to check. Instead, it
simply specifies the pool and looks at things like ssflags, clflags,
sumflags, etc. We use the standard Save set: 'All' for most of our
clients.

There are two scenarios I can think of:

1. Have a file that contains a list of all the savesets for each client.
This would obviously need to get updated whenever a new client is added,
removed or its savesets change. Then have a script that uses mminfo to
query the database and then parse against the list to determine what if
anything did not get backed up.

2. Like 1 above but automate the updating of the information by having a
cron script on each client that periodically reads the /etc/fstab file
(or equivalent) and figures out what savesets (file systems) are valid
and maybe sends this information to a central location (nfs mount) where
it's collected and then updated to the master file somehow.

For Linux, I'm thinking the script could simply inspect the /etc/fstab
file for all lines beginning with 'LABEL', but not preceded with a
remark, or those beginning with '/' in second field and having ext2 or
ext3 in third field, plus '/dev/pts', and this would get most of them.
Of course, there are special savesets that are formed from existing file
systems wherein you may use directives to skip certain things, e.g.
maybe you have a /disk2 file system, but you might have at least one
client instance wherein you specify something like '/disk2/pathname' and
another instance where 'pathname' under /disk2 is skipped. Obviously,
these special pathname savesets that are formed from existing file
systems would need to be added to the master file manually. Also, there
are some raw file systems that you would NOT want added.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

George