Networker

[Networker] lost connection to server

2004-11-09 16:05:39
Subject: [Networker] lost connection to server
From: Nick Tan <nick AT WEHI.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:04:35 +1100
Hi all,

I've searched the archives for this problem, but haven't found a
solution so I'm posting here.  I have a 7.1 server running on Solaris 8
on a SunFire 280R server.  It has a Quantum M1500 library connected to
it with 2 SDLT-1 drives.  I'm actually running the Sun branded
Networker (Sun StorEdge Enterprise Backup), but is pretty much the same
as Legato.

The problem I'm seeing is only from Linux clients with filesystems over
30GB.  I get these messages in the logs:

* server1:/usr/local/anon-ftp lost connection to server, exiting
* server2:/ lost connection to server, exiting
* server3:/usr/local lost connection to server, exiting
* server4:/var/www lost connection to server, exiting
* server4:/var/www lost connection to server, exiting

Networker will retry three times then give up.  Sometimes it will
complete, but most of the time I'll get the "lost connection to server,
exiting" message.  I have other systems (Solaris, Tru64, IRIX) with
large filesystems but they backup just fine.  BTW, the filesystems on
the linux clients are ext3, and they are a mixture of RedHat 8.0
through to Fedora Core 2.  Has anyone seen this behavior with linux
clients before or know of a solution?

Thanks,

--
Nick Tan