Networker

Re: [Networker] Would you read an overview in the NetWorker Admin

2004-11-04 05:08:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Would you read an overview in the NetWorker Admin
From: Aurea Cruz <aurecruz AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 04:07:37 -0600
Hello David,

An overview is a good idea, you might call it "Start
here! guide" with pointers to the admin guide. Try to
think back on when you started using NetWorker. Was
the admin guide *fully* understandable?

>From the beginning and all through 7 years I've leaned
a lot on the admin guide and the error messages doc,
both for concepts, planning and possibly
troubleshooting (a.k.a., find out what I did wrong).

But what I always miss: more examples.
I could have used an addition to admin guide:
deployment guides / examples. A big list of how to's
and best practices. Many are implicit in the admin
guide, but we need variations, like:

- how to move clients between servers,
- how and when to share a jukebox and/or use dds,
- how to purge the index of a deleted client
- closer look at cluster backup and specially
recovers,
- how to split a big client
- staging guides and examples

these and a lot of other how to's (like many of
StorageMountain's FAQ items) don't pop up in KB.

I find that the performance tuning guide the perfect
follow up to the admin guide, and has solved many
bad-performing issues I've met, but how many get as
far as to open it?

Best regards,
Aure Cruz