Networker

Re: [Networker] How to configure a proper drive number / location in the library

2004-11-03 04:55:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to configure a proper drive number / location in the library
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:53:15 +0000
G.V. wrote:
I've got 2 drives installed in the library (STK L180).
One in the first slot (LTO-2) another one in the last (SDLT - slot 10).
When I run jbconfig it tries to configure all drives in sequence (slot 0, slot
1 etc.). Therefore it configures the second tdrive in slot 2 (instead of 10).
I wonder if I can modify NetWorker configuration somewhere (rather than
physically moving the drive to slot 2).

I don't think that's a supported configuration. I doubt that StorageTek
would configure a library that way. The library is probably reporting to
NetWorker that there are 10 drives installed, so jbconfig will expect
you to configure 10 drives. You can probably get round it by defining
drives 2 to 9 as file devices then disabling them. Of course these days
there is a licencing implication to using file devices, licencing is now
enforced for these.

Also you need to be VERY careful about using mixed device types in the
library. I don't know what will happen if the library tries to load an
LTO-2 tape into an SDLT drive or vice versa. I can just imagine a
horrible crunching of plastic breaking. This is not a supported
configuration for NetWorker unless you are using some extra library
management software such as ACSLS or AlphaStor.