Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning performance

2004-10-28 21:39:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning performance
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:38:39 -0600
I'm gonig to chime in here because I just recently started using
cloning.

Our Networker server, v6.1.3, is on a HPUX 11i connected to a
SpectraLogic 64000 with 4 AIT-3 drives.

I have a savegroup that runs and performs a full save of three
machines.  There are about 20 disks total being backed up, going to two
AIT-3 media.  So I end up with about 20 savesets, 300 Gbyte total.  I
use multiplexing on my backups, set to 4 per drive.

I have recently enabled automatic cloning and have noticed that the
savesets are cloned one at a time (i.e., I see "cloning session: 2 of 20
save set(s)...." messages).  It isn't currently a big concern for us
because the cloning currently doesn't interfere with any other backups.

Some have mentioned that you can clone multiple savesets at once (and in
fact that it was the default), not just one at a time.  So how does one
go about doing that exactly?  It would appear that the default cloning
method for a savegroup, if doing automatic cloning, is to do one saveset
at a time, at least for my installation.

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator