Networker

Re: [Networker] Archive Services for NetWare Clients

2004-10-26 18:49:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Archive Services for NetWare Clients
From: Ryan Tassotti <Ryan.Tassotti AT BRISBANE.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:47:12 +1000
Hi Tony

Regarding NetWare: I briefly looked at the archiving function for Networker,
but ideally, we wanted something that could archive based on date, ie. 'archive
(backup and delete) files older that 12 months ago' or 'not accessed since
<date>'.  The archiving function does not seem able to do this, but was
something we used to be able to do with Arcserve (and used often).

If I need to 'archive' any NetWare data, I just write it off to a separate tape
pool, which has a longer browse/retention period than the standard pool.  I
also specify the saveset needing to be 'archived' in the client definition.
Then I manually delete the data.  It's not pretty, but it works.  This process
is all server-initiated, not client-initiated though.  And I still have no way
(that I know of) of Networker-archiving based on date.

Regards,
Ryan.

>>> Tony Skalski <ajs AT STOLAF DOT EDU> 10/27/04 12:37am >>>
Greetings,

We are thinking of using Networker's archive services to archive files
on our NetWare servers. We are running Networker 6.1.3 server on Linux
and the 4.22 client on NetWare. Anybody have feedback on archiving
NetWare files?

Perhaps most important is browseable archives (PC-like): are their
archives indexed? Can archive requests be used within the Networker
Administrator GUI (I set up an archive request, but it failed to run
complaining "Unknown Command: nsrarchive").

If you can only start them from the client is there any way to specify
another (non-default) archive pool?

Thanks in advance.

ajs
--
Tony Skalski
Systems Administrator

This message was received from the Internet.
Please exercise caution with the message and any attachments.

This message has passed through an insecure network.
Please direct all enquires to the message author.