Networker

Re: [Networker] Replace W2k NW server with Linux server

2004-10-26 03:51:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Replace W2k NW server with Linux server
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:50:20 +0200
Thomas,

I have done something similar with a Unix -> windows migration. For everyone's
benefit I will explain briefly:

Firstly I could not get a 6.1.1 - 6.1.1 to work properly, eventually 6.1.1 ->
7.1.1 worked.

I made a index / bootstrap backup to a specific tape before I started.

With both servers on the same network I copied from the Unix to the Windows
box. I had to  be a little cautious here - and (using someone on the lists
suggestion) I used nsrmmdbasm to create a dat file which I copied (via a Novell
box) to the windows box.

I then took the server off the network and gave it the same name / IP address
as the old BS.

I then had to manually create all my groups / clients / pools again (using the
old client id's which I noted from the old system). The important thing here is
your client name and id must be the same (as you set it up on the old system).
You must have pools to import the media DB into ... Depending on your devices -
we had a "extra" library that we could use to recover the indexes - but you
will have to re-create your devices as well.

I then piped the dat file through uasm and I got uasm to interpret (extrapolate
/ change) the /home/export/nsr/mm/mmvolume6 to d:\\nsr\\mm\\mmvolume6\\

I found that once my media DB was up and running and I saw all of my tapes
(including the "last" tape) it was easier to do nsrck's from tape and to
recover all of the client indexes. (This took a while).

With all up and running and working fine (backing up etc) I then as a last step
changed my servers name to the "new" name and put it back on the network. I as
well had to stop my Unix server daemons from starting. That "old" server is now
a SN.

I can happily do recoveries from the "old" backup server's indexes or from the
"new" server's. Normal OS restrictions still apply.

Obviously you will have to get your licenses moved to this new host etc.

Best of luck!

Regards,
Riaan