Networker

[Networker] Replace W2k NW server with Linux server

2004-10-25 07:13:58
Subject: [Networker] Replace W2k NW server with Linux server
From: Thomas Staudenmaier <thomas.staudenmaier AT ZKD.BWL DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:13:41 -0400
Hello,

we are considering to replace our Win2000 NW 7.1 Server with a Linux box.
I'd like to hear from anyone who already did this, how was it done and what
are the pitfalls.

Is it feasible to it in this way:
- set up the Linux box (not yet connected to network and jukebox) with same
hostname and IP adress as the W2k server
- mmrecov a current bootstrap (via temporarily attached tape drive) to the
linux box
- on Linux box delete devices (\\.\tape<nn> won't work on Linux anyway)
- stop W2k Server and disconnect from network and jukebox
- connect Linux box to network and jukebox
- create devices
- delete and create jukebox necessary?
- settle licensing issues

thanks all,