Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning performance

2004-10-19 12:10:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning performance
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:27:59 -0700

> Far as I know, NetWorker does'nt do parallel clonings.  Say for example,
> your backups go to 4 different tapes a night.  NetWorker waits for the
> 4th tape to finish the backups before it can start cloning the first
> tape.  I guess, it becomes essential for NetWorker to finish index
> writes for the backups to know what to clone.

That's correct for the automatic group cloning.

However, I was more concerned with the case where you have multiplexed
savesets on a single backup tape.  In that case, Networker can clone
them all simultaneously onto a clone tape.  It doesn't have to
demultiplex each one first.

But I wasn't thinking about your point at all.  If Ulrich is saving to
four tapes and then it's only cloning one at a time, that would take
much longer.  I've generally scripted the clones instead.  If you do
that, you can add some parallelism to the process.