Networker

Re: [Networker] Strange backup behaviour

2004-10-08 11:40:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Strange backup behaviour
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:42:25 +0200
Is the client version of the software by any chance version 5 still ?

version 5 could not handle data streams longer than 2 GB hence the split
version 6 has that ability so if client and server are version 6 or higher we
should look eleswhere

There is also a parameter in the group to force a split, ist this clients
running in a special group ?

Maarten

On Friday 08 October 2004 17:30, Krishnan, Ramamurthy wrote:
> Hi
>
> I see NetWorker behaving strangely for the full backup of a particular
> server alone.  What actually happens is when it backups its D drive, it
> keeps on splitting the saveset for every 2000MB.  But for many other
> servers (even for other partitions on the same server) it backs up more
> 2000MB in one go (it atleast does'nt give any "splitting" messages).
> Even more painful is that the backup fails with the message
> "SERVER_NAME: D:\ 2 retries attempted".. but I see the data still
> writing.
>
> Obviously I don't see it in the index and hence the backups are failing
> for sure.  This happens only for full backups.  Incrementals and
> differentials go through good.  Has anybody experienced this before?
>
> NetWorker 6.1.3 server running on Solaris 2.8.  Client running Windows
> NT SP6A.  The D drive is a NTFS partition.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Rgds, Ram.
>

>                 Email Disclaimer
>
> This email has been sent from KPMG LLP, a UK limited
> liability partnership, or from one of the companies within
> its control (which include KPMG Audit Plc , KPMG United
> Kingdom Plc and KPMG UK Limited). The information in
> this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.
> It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this
> email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the
> intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
> or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
>  is prohibited and may be unlawful.  When addressed to
> our clients any opinions or advice contained in this email
> are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the
> governing KPMG client engagement letter.
>

> --
> also view and post messages to the list. Questions regarding this list
> should be sent to stan AT temple DOT edu

Maarten Boot,
Compuware Europe B.V.
Hoogoorddreef 5
1101 BA Amsterdam