Networker

Re: [Networker] Need to create a report that tells me exactly what is on a tape

2004-10-06 13:12:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need to create a report that tells me exactly what is on a tape
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:30:15 -0700
> > Can anyone help me with a command or something that would produce such a
> > report?
>
> Sure.  As long as the tapes are still within the browse period, you can
> use 'mminfo' to get a list of the savetimes ('mminfo -r nsavetime VOL')
> and then feed each of those times into 'nsrinfo' to get the filenames.
>
> You should be able to script that pretty quickly to be able to generate
> far more data than anyone would want to read.  Man, I don't think I've
> ever counted how many files are on a big tape...

On further thought, that's not exactly correct.

The above uses 'nsrinfo' only indexed by savetime, but the saveset with
that time can span multiple volumes.  The above method would report
*all* the files as being on all the volumes that it's a part of.

To do better than that would require a fair bit more work.  You'd have
to decide if it's worth it or not.

Again from 'mminfo', you can get fragment reports, which would let you
know which bytes of the saveset are on the volume.  Then with the -V
flag to nsrinfo, you could determine if the file is on that fragment
(and therefore volume).

It seems pretty easily scriptable to me, but I've never sat down and
tried to do it.