Networker

Re: [Networker] Need to create a report that tells me exactly what is on a tape

2004-10-06 13:00:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need to create a report that tells me exactly what is on a tape
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:02:01 -0700
On Oct 6, 2004, at 10:11 AM, Darren Dunham wrote:

I have Enron to thank for this one.  We are being required to test the
validity of each backup.  We must produce a report that shows what is
exactly on the tape, the exact files.

Can anyone help me with a command or something that would produce
such a
report?

Sure.  As long as the tapes are still within the browse period, you can
use 'mminfo' to get a list of the savetimes ('mminfo -r nsavetime VOL')
and then feed each of those times into 'nsrinfo' to get the filenames.

You should be able to script that pretty quickly to be able to generate
far more data than anyone would want to read.  Man, I don't think I've
ever counted how many files are on a big tape...

It will take forever, but if you wanted to be absolutely, positively,
certain what is on each tape, use scanner.  That will physically read
each tape and you can have it print out what files it encounters along
the way.  It will also tell you if there are any problems on each tape.

But, man, will it be slow.

Byron