Networker

Re: [Networker] Error while mounting tapes

2004-10-05 13:43:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Error while mounting tapes
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:00:41 -0700

> Backups are happening now but I would like to understand what does it mean
> when it says -
> NetWorker media: (info) sdlt320 tape FSWindows_002 was being written
> before crash

When a tape is mounted, it is marked 'dirty'.  A normal unmount will
clear that flag.

If networker or the host crashes, that flag remains.  The next time that
networker tries to use the volume, it will print that message.  It will
also assume that the final portion of the tape may not match the media
contents.  It will forward to the end and attempt to verify the number
of files on tape matches the contents of the media database.

If they don't match, it may mark the tape read-only to prevent later
writes from destroying data.  If they do match, it should simply mount
the tape up.

It appears from your post that the mount didn't happen.  Could you see
any tape activity?  Were any of the daemons doing anything?