Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with "inquire"?

2004-10-05 05:03:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with "inquire"?
From: Ralf Schmidt <ral.schmidt AT WEB DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:04:40 +0200
Hi,
if 'inquire' hangs the system, 'jbconfig' will also hang the system if you
choose 2) Autodetected SCSI Jukebox.
In this case 'jbconfig' uses 'inquire' to autodetect the SCSI control path of
the library robotic.  You can prevent this
from happening if you choose  4) SJI Jukebox and then 'Standard SCSI Jukebox'.
Of course, you must know
the control path of the robotics ([email protected]) because you will be asked for
it.

In a Sun-SAN environment (Solaris + Sun HBAs) the 'inquire' is NOT only a
troubleshooting tool, since inquire
is part of the 'lus_add_fp_devs' script which configures fibre channel devices
(mapping SCSI targets with
WWPNs). The final step of this scirpt  uses 'inquire' to acivate the updated
/usr/kernel/drv/lus.conf file.

In one case (exclusively Sun components: V440 with Sun FC HBAs, Sol 9, NW 7.1.2
- OEM from Sun, Sun FC-Switch,
Sun Library native FC)  inquire hangs the system while in two other cases (same
environment) not!
Sun gave us a "workaround" to prevent the the system from freezing:
uncomment the line in the lus.conf  where SCSI devices are mentioned
#name="lus" class="scsi" target=0 lun=0;
This of course works only if
1. all devices are already properly configured
2. all devices are Sun SAN devices which are not addressed through
'class="scsi"' but through 'class="fp"'
3. you do not need to add SCSI devices
Sun has an open case concerning the 'inquire' problem!

In my experience the system must not be powered off! As long as you do not
access the internal disks you
should be able to connect to the system and kill the inquire process. So you
can do a ps -ef but you cannot do
df -k or even an ls. Of course, you should have a console session (via the
SC-card) opened to init the system.

Hope this helps a little

Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU>, schrieb am
02.10.04 00:24:19: