Networker

Re: [Networker] How to create event notification for required tapes?

2004-09-24 12:17:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to create event notification for required tapes?
From: Philippe MICHEL <philippe.michel AT THALES-IS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:18:30 +0200
George Sinclair wrote:

> How can I create an event notification that will email me to let me know
> that one or more tapes need to be loaded for a recovery and are not
> currently loaded?
>
> I tried creating a custom notification named: 'Tape mount request' with
>
> Action = /usr/ucb/mail -s subject recipient
> Event = 'media'
> Priority = 'Waiting'
>
> This works like a champ but unfortunately it also emails me when a
> backup is waiting for a writable tape. This wouldn't be so bad if there
> were no writable tapes available, but there were, so it was just waiting
> for it to load.

With priority = waiting, the notification is sent as soon as a media is needed.
You could use
another priority : that would avoid too many mails, but would delay the
pertinent notifications
(possibly too much to be useful for recoveries). In fact, networker's default
notifications have
such an example (check Tape mount request 1, 2 and 3 with View details)

> How can I set this up so I only get the message when a
> recovery is waiting for a tape(s) that's not loaded in the library?

I don't know how one could do this with networker's notifications, but you
could scan daemon.log for
"tape xxx will be needed" lines, check the tape location with mminfo and send a
mail if it is not
online.

> If it's easier, I would be willing to live with having the notification
> email me any time a backup or a recovery needs a volume(s) and none is
> ACTUALLY available as opposed to being there but loaded just yet.

As I wrote earlier, the default "Tape mount request 3" already does about
exactly this, but only
after a significant delay.