Networker

[Networker] DR Backups

2004-09-22 05:15:45
Subject: [Networker] DR Backups
From: "Cooper, Chris" <C.Cooper AT CRANFIELD.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:06:22 +0100
Hi All,

We are considering ways which we can make a seperate backup of certain
machines for disaster recovery purposes only. We have a fair amount of
data we would like to write to this DR pool (~2.5Tb).

We have previously tried cloning, but have found that tape to tape
cloning for us is taking far too long. In the future we will be looking
at a disk backup solution and then cloning to tape.

We currently write a seperate full non-indexed weekly backup of these
machines to a different tape pool and take offsite for storage of a
period of 3 weeks.
We recently had a problem with one of these machines where the indexes
became corrupt (for the indexed daily backup pool - full every 2 weeks,
incrementals daily) and could only get data back via a saveset recovery.
We were told that this was because we are backing this client up to one
pool which is indexed and a DR pool which is not - Is this correct,
bearing in mind we have a number of other clients doing the same thing
which appear to be fine??

Does anyone use similar DR techniques successfully or have any other
solutions to create reliable DR sets?

Config:
Server - Solaris 9 NW v7.1.2 with 9 dlt8000 tape drives
90 Clients - Mostly v7.1.1

Thanks,

Chris Cooper.