Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrinfo command hung -- need help?

2004-09-21 04:58:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrinfo command hung -- need help?
From: Will Parsons <w.parsons AT LEEDS.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:59:31 +0100
Hi George,
From the figures you've quoted, I'd imagine that you've hit the 2GB
limit on your output file.
The version of Networker you're running will be compiled 32 bit, so may
not be able to deal with larger files than this.

It's probably too late now, but for future you should be able to work
around this by creating a file-system pipe, setting up a process to
accept input from the pipe and send it to a "split" command, and then
running the nsrinfo command with the output going into the pipe. I've
seen this done to overcome a similar problem with Oracle Export files.

Will

George Sinclair wrote:

Hi,

Was running 'nsrinfo client > outputfile' and it's stopped adding
information to the output file. There's plenty of space remaining on the
drive where I'm redirecting the output, and the last line in the output
is a typical nsrinfo output line, but incomplete as part of the date is
missing and it's just sitting there. It doesn't appear to have finished
with the normal summary lines.

The size of the output file has not changed in over an hour. Something
seems wrong here. I want to move this index to another drive where I
have more space, but wanted to compare nsrinfo output before and after
to ensure new location is okay. Man. Huge indexes take so darn long to
check maybe it's not possible before backups run? How do you run nsrinfo
twice before backups kickoff on huge indexes without postponing the
backup?!

Size of index is about 5.6 GB. Size of output file is still at:
2147483647 bytes. daemon.log, messages and system log show nothing
suspect at all. Whenever I run something like 'truss -o outputfile -p -v
all pid', and then do something like head -100 output file and comparing
with previous runs, output looks different? But original output from
nsrinfo still locked at 2147483647 bytes?

Running 6.1.1 on Solaris 2.8. Anyone seen this behavior before?

George