Networker

Re: [Networker] OT: LTO2 libraries, server migration

2004-09-15 10:16:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] OT: LTO2 libraries, server migration
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:17:17 -0400
you might be interested in the following link
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gig-eth-64bit/gig-eth-64bit-apr2004-
p2.html
note this is using a PC with a 533 MHz bus. To summarise Linux (Gentoo
Linux 1.4 with kernel v2.4.24) with changes to the packet size can get
decent throughput on some network cards whilst Windows 2000 (Windows 2000
Pro with service pack v4) is not as good.
I can add in my own tests that suns with the ultra sparc III chipset can
achieve 95MB/s using no parameter tuning ( Sun V880 and E280R running
Solaris 8), with E450s we never acheived moer than 60MB/s on gigabit.
I think you'll be pushed to keep one LTO2 streaming (with hardware
compression on) unless your data is not very compressible (we found that
compression improved when we moved from DLT7000 to LTO1) or if your
networker clients are not similarly high specced (unless you have lots of
datastreams from different clients to interleave on the tapes - and then
of course they will be slower to recover).
As for io to the tapes I would not expect problems with 2 drives on one
66Mhz 64 bit pci bus but for more tape drives I would insist on more (or
faster ) PCI busses.

Almost always I would recommend trying actual tests of new equipment to
see what sort of performance is possible.

For the library we had few problems with storagetek L20/40/80/700 and 5500