Networker

Re: [Networker] Support for multiple indexes for same client -- more thoughts?

2004-09-13 11:13:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Support for multiple indexes for same client -- more thoughts?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:16:41 -0400
One advantage I can think of for having multiple indexes for same client
is that it would make it much easier and faster to run a command like
nsrinfo against one of the constituent parts (indexes). For example, if
I have a client with 5 file systems, and say 3 client instances, maybe
the index is really huge, but if I could put each of these three
instances under its own index, it might make managing the indexes more
efficient as none of them would be as large as the former whole.

Also at some point I might decide to move one of the indexes. If I move
it, I'd like to run nsrinfo before and after to ensure no differences.
This can take a long time on a large index, but if multiple indexes then
I'd only have to run it on the one affected piece and not on all the
indexes. Obviously, running it on all of them would take just as long as
it would if they were all lumped under one index like before but just
seems kinda risky to have huge indexes, but if you need the browse time
then seems less likely to get corrupt if broken down?

Any ideas on how to do this or advice on this?

Thanks.

George