Networker

[Networker] tape block size DLT7k, Solaris

2004-09-09 17:49:18
Subject: [Networker] tape block size DLT7k, Solaris
From: Andy Chaplin <chaplina AT CANISIUS DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:54:43 -0400
Networker 6.1.4
Solaris 8 patched current
Sun L20 w/ 1 Quantum DLT7k current firmware
Sun L1000 w/ 2 Quantum DLT7k current firmware

Anybody know of a decent way to change the block size of a tape that was
previously written by Networker.  We initially had the L20 connected via
scsi-fibre router which was writing to the tapes using a 32k blocksize
instead of the 128k normally used with Solaris (due to software problems
that I'd rather forget).  It's now using scsi connection and we're
finding some tapes maintain the 32k blocksize even though they get
deleted and relabelled.

I realize DLT will work with variable blocksizes, but we believe there
is a performance decrease using the smaller blocksize.  Of course, the
tapes could be bad (they are 2-3 years old) but I hate throwing those
suckers into the trash. :))

I was thinking that writing to a tape with tar would work, but thought
I'd ask here in case someone else has run into this problem.

Thanks!