Networker

[Networker] Need help with jukebox sleep values?

2004-08-25 19:47:21
Subject: [Networker] Need help with jukebox sleep values?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:50:50 -0400
Hello,

I have some questions on the following jukebox values as seen under
nwadmin:

Eject sleep: 5
Cleaning delay: 60
Unload sleep: 5
Load sleep: 5
Deposit timeout: 15
Withdraw timeout: 15
Port polling period: 3

These are the default values on all our libraries (no snickering,
please) as created from jbconfig. We've never modified them. We've been
seeing a lot of "read open error, device or resource busy" and "read
open error, Invalid argument" errors on all our LTO and SDLT devices.
Legato tech support suggested we change the sleep values to 30 for the
Storagetek L80 (4 LTO gen 1 drives), and the same for the ATL P1000
jukebox (2 SDLT gen 1 drives), but they suggested that the Unload sleep
value should be 60 for the SDLT. I told them that we were using Seagate
LTO drives on the Storagetek, but they didn't seem to care about that.
We're using these libraries on a Red Hat Linux 7.3 storage node running
6.1.1 and primary server is at 6.1.1 with older attached DLT library,
but we don't see any problems on that guy. The primary server is running
Solaris 2.8.

I checked Legato's help window under nwadmin, but I'm still not really
clear on what these values really mean. For example, does Unload sleep
mean the amount of time the picker will wait before going to unload the
tape or the amount of time the software will wait before doing
something? Can someone explain this in more detail to me?

Here are my questions:
1. Would smaller values like '5' possibly explain some of the problems
we've been seeing?

2. Would these small sleep values cause problems on Quantum SDLT gen 1
drives or Seagate LTO gen 1 drives? If not, could having small sleep
times cause other mischief?

3. Is Legato's recommendation reasonable, or should be increase those
values beyond 30, like maybe 300 (5 minutes)?

4. Does anyone have any preferred settings for these kinds of jukeboxes?

5. How many times will NetWorker retry a load/unload/eject operation and
is there a setting for this anywhere?

Thanks

George