Networker

Re: [Networker] Looking for specific config out there....

2004-08-25 13:57:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Looking for specific config out there....
From: Paul Crossman <pcrossma AT ORANGE DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:58:35 -0400
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Legato NetWorker discussion
[mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU]
> On Behalf Of Gordon Ewasiuk
> Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 11:36 PM
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: [Networker] Looking for specific config out there....
>
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Paul Crossman wrote:
>
> > I've gotten CRC read and write errors on five tapes in a row on the
same
> > drive during a clone job.  Sometimes the drive disables itself,
other
> > times it sits at the "read open error" message.  Sometimes there are
> > alerts posted to the windows system log, sometimes there are not.
This
> > really only seems to come up during cloning.  It never seems to
happen
> > when normal backups are running.
>
> Have you tried the same five tapes on the other drive?  Are the errors
at
> consistant spots in the tape?  Are the tapes new or used?  Do you get
any
> errors during regular backup operations?  You said "it never seems to
> happen" but have you grepped the logs to be sure?

Yes I have tried these tapes on other drives, however I have to relabel
them first as Tape0 ends up writing a bad block to them and rendering
them useless at that point until I relabel.

The errors are at different spots on the tapes each time I've generated
the fault.  These tapes are used clone tapes that were written to once
and have come back onsite to be overwritten and sent back offsite again.

Normal backups seem to be working normally without incident, however,
upon further investigation I've noticed that there are tapes in the
incremental pool that are marked as full and way under capacity.  These
are from mid July and the deamon log has rotated out on them already.
I'd say it's a safe bet that this was happening during backups, but for
some reason Networker recovers gracefully from the incident.

> I haven't had the need to clone anything in Legato yet...but i
wouldn't
> think the cloning operation would be a problem...it just reads one
tape
> while writing to another, right?

My understanding is that it's a restore and a backup operation that are
running simultaneously (can anyone confirm or deny this statement?).

> Oh, check the max error count for the drive too...is it incrementing?
> That might explain why the drive is being disabled.
>
> BTW, nice tape library.  Mine is a Dell version of the scalar 24. :)

Yep, I have to say that this is one of the best jukeboxes I've had the
pleasure to work with.  I just wish that I didn't have so much trouble
with the drives.