Networker

Re: [Networker] I'd like some input from the list on this....

2004-08-17 18:02:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] I'd like some input from the list on this....
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:02:24 -0500
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 05:17:58PM -0400, Paul Crossman wrote:
> I'd like to put something in place where it would be either something
> they can do themselves, at a minimal cost and amount of work for me.
>
> I thought about maybe just making ghost floppies for each of them and
> putting a large disk out there, or adding a second disk to their systems
> and running them with software raid 1 within windows XP.
>
> Thoughts?

Are you trying to protect against "oops, my hard drive died" or "oops, I
just deleted this file?"  In the first case, where you just care about
the system, RAID on the systems may be safe enough.  It's easy,
relatively cheap, and doesn't require much upkeep (other than watching
for hardware problems.)

If you're protecting against deleted files, RAID isn't enough.  I'd
recommend some sort of nightly process that copies their data to a
shared disk on location.  Windows can do this with offline/synchronized
folders, or rsync, etc.  The data will be onsite, and can be easy for
the user to quickly retrieve (especially if it's just a Windows or NFS
share away.)  If you need more protection than this, you can look at
syncing that disk back to the main office with the tape libraries.

Dave