Networker

Re: [Networker] Moving NW server to new hardware

2004-08-17 09:37:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Moving NW server to new hardware
From: Mary-Charles Nassif <nassif AT MED.UNC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:37:19 -0400
Lee,
Would you please send me the full article, as I was actually planning to
do this very migration (move from Solaris 8 to Solaris 9) tomorrow?
Also, did you follow the steps in the document directly, or were there
some unaccounted for 'gotchas'?  I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!
Mary-Charles

Lee Roth wrote:
While looking through the documentation on Legato's web site, I found
technical bulletin #121 which gives a step by step procedure for this.
The bulletin, however, says that the process is for versions 5.5.x and
earlier while we're running v 7.1.1.

I found that technical bulletin #121 (from Feb. 1994!!) to be nearly
useless for a 'modern' Unix Legato
system.

In my case, I wanted to move from a Solaris 8 (old platform) to a Solaris 9
(new platform)
box, and the new server platform had a different nodename. Bzzt! It's
highly suggested that you
*NOT* try to migrate to a server with a different name - name it the same
for the migration...
then, after you migrate go through a server name-change procedure.

I contacted Legato support for better info and they emailed me the
following document that was
*VERY* helpful and 99.9% applicable:
ID: legato37559
Domain: primus_owner
Solution Class: solution
Type: Reference
Goal
-------
Moving NetWorker Server to new Unix machine with the same name
Goal
-------
Moving a UNIX NetWorker Server
Fact
-------
NetWorker for Unix 6.x
Symptom
-------
Moving indexes
Symptom
-------
Bootstrap recovery
Symptom
-------
Drive order
Fix
-------
How to move a Unix NetWorker server to another Unix machine with same host
name and IP address
I'm not sure why this document had to be sent to me and was not available
via the
"basic" support website. It covers a lot of bases including checking to
make sure
tape blocksizes are the same on the old and new systems.

(Sorry for the late reply... I'm new to the list as of today and am
reviewing the topics
posted this month.)

Lee Roth
Networker V7.1.2 on Solaris 9