Networker

Re: [Networker] Using Gigabit interface

2004-08-12 11:41:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Using Gigabit interface
From: "David E. Nelson" <david.nelson AT NI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:39:42 -0500
Hi Somen,

- You can snoop your gig-e interface. Can use 'snoop -d ce' - again, substitute
your gig-e driver for 'ce' as appropriate.

- Are you backing up enough clients in parallel to utilize the gig-e interface?

- The old Sun gig-e adapters (ge driver) had pathetic performance.  The newer
h/w and drivers (ce driver) are much better.

- Why are you still using/configuring your 100 Mb interface?

- Is your gig-e and network switch running at gig-e speeds? Can check using
'ndd /dev/ce link_speed' - substitute your gig-e driver for 'ce' as
appropriate.

- Are your drives so busy that they can't accept data more quickly?  Can check
with 'iostat -xnp 3 | grep rmt' and look at the '% busy' column.

- Are you runing enough drives in parallel?

Regards,
        /\/elson