Networker

[Networker] Tape SANs and dedicated HBAs

2004-08-10 06:01:49
Subject: [Networker] Tape SANs and dedicated HBAs
From: Paul Esson <paul.esson AT REDSTOR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:01:36 +0100
Folks,

I would like to know from fellow subscribers how many folks are using
dedicated HBAs for tape versus shared HBAs for disk and tape in SAN
environments.  I am being told by a major library vendor that despite
having dual HBAs in hosts for redundant disk access, I need to install
additional HBAs to access their libraries.  They are suggesting two main
issues:

*       Conflicting requirements in HBA set-up for disk and tape
*       Potential conflict with multipathing/failover software

My proposal would not present multiple paths to a tape drive and my
understanding of the failover software we are proposing to use is that
it is disk specific and would not failover all I/O from one HBA to the
other.

All comments appreciated.

Paul Esson
Senior Support Engineer
Redstor Limited

Direct:         +44 (0) 1224 595381
Mobile:         +44 (0) 7766 906514
E-Mail:         paul.esson AT redstor DOT com
Web:            www.redstor.com

REDSTOR LIMITED
Torridon House
73-75 Regent Quay
Aberdeen
UK
AB11 5AR

Disclaimer:
The information included in this e-mail is of a confidential nature and
is intended only for the addressee.  If you are not the intended
addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited
and may be unlawful.  Disclosure to any party other than the addressee,
whether inadvertent or otherwise is not intended to waive privilege or
confidentiality.