Networker

[Networker] LTO-2 not seen (was 7.1.x and LVD drive issues)

2004-08-09 02:12:18
Subject: [Networker] LTO-2 not seen (was 7.1.x and LVD drive issues)
From: "T. S. Kimball" <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 02:12:02 -0400
Yes, this is card 595-5495.  Here is the relevent info:

==========
sn:/# pkginfo | grep -i qus
system      SUNWqus        QLogic Ultra3 Scsi, (Root)
system      SUNWqusu       QLogic Ultra3 Scsi, (Usr)
system      SUNWqusux      QLogic Ultra3 Scsi, (Usr) (64-bit)
system      SUNWqusx       QLogic Ultra3 Scsi, (Root) (64-bit)
sn:/# showrev -p | grep 112697
Patch: 112697-04 Obsoletes:  Requires:  Incompatibles:  Packages: SUNWqus,
SUNWqusu, SUNWqusux, SUNWqusx

from system (shared mem enabled for Sybase):

set maxusers=120
set pt_cnt=128
set npty=128
set sadcnt=256
set nautopush=128
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=8250000000
* vxfs_START -- do not remove the following lines:
* VxFS requires a stack size greater than the default 8K.
* The following value allows the kernel stack size to be
* increased to 24K for Solaris 7, 8 and 9, and 16K for Solaris 2.6.
set lwp_default_stksize=0x6000
* vxfs_END
* vxfs_START -- do not remove the following lines:
* VxFS requires a stack size greater than the default 8K.
* The following value allows the kernel stack size to be
* increased to 24K for Solaris 7, 8 and 9, and 16K for Solaris 2.6.
set rpcmod:svc_default_stksize=0x6000
* vxfs_END
set snooping=1
set snoop_interval=9000000
==========

I did find it amusing that the four packages installed four files
total, and the patch promptly replaced all four.  Kind of a moot point
eh?

The drives, including terminators, were installed by STK, and look OK
from the L700's front panel and from Library Admin web console.

I finally got a chance to take the system down, and the drives are not
even seen from Sun's probe-scsi-all; The cables are brand new.
Therefore it's likely larger issue and will have others in our daytime
group persue with Sun (we normally use Bronze contract for everything
except the L700, which is Gold).

I'll send an update when I have one.

--TSK

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Robert Maiello wrote:

> TSK,
>
> For the LTO drives on the 880,  your using the qus SUN LVD card?   I assume
> you have the SUNWqus package installed as well as patch 112697-04?
>
> The terminators should be LVD.
> Also make sure you have no old scsi-options strings left/set in /etc/system.
>
> Robert Maiello
> Pioneer Data Systems
>

> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 11:40:16 -0400, T. S. Kimball <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I've been monitoring this thread during a week-long installation of
> >AlphaStor.  We're preparing to get our first LTO-2 drives online in a
> >storage node and now I'm getting curious and/or nervous about this
> >recent set of reports.
> >
> >I'd like more info from those with problems, in particular what is the
> >manufacturer of your LTO drives.  And also, who is _not_ having
> >problem with LTO and what your Solaris-based config is?
> >
> >My setup (some DiskBackup parts are removed from Sun EBS Server for
> >clarity, and they're not online yet):
> >
> >  L700 - 7 x DLT7000 & 3 x LTO-2 (HP)
> >
> >  Sun EBS Server (7.1.2 NW), Solaris 8, E-450 server
> >     -This runs the DLT Drives, SCSI Attatched
> >  AlphaStor 3.0 SR2, Solaris 8, Netra 1125 Server
> >     -Running AlphaStor only
> >
> >  Storage Node, 7.1.2, Solaris 8, V-880 Server
> >     - This will eventually run the LTO-2 drives
> >     - 2 x LVD-SCSI (Sun qus driver) cards installed
> >
> >  We're using Fuji DLT-IV and LTO-2 Media.
> >
> >Our upgrade from 6.1.3 to 7.1.2 went off smooth a month ago, and the
> >server has been quite happy so far.
> >
> >I currently cannot get the LTO-2 drives seen on the 880, but I'm in
> >process of a Sun call to fix that.  However I want to make sure that,
> >once I get the drives working, Networker will be happy with the
> >drives and tapes.
> >

> >Thanks in Advance,
> >--TSK

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify SunGard Trading Systems immediately
at (201) 499-5900 and destroy all copies of this message and any
attachments.